Stefan Kreuzer, M.D., MSc.
- 2000 – 2001 Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX Fellowship in Adult Joint Reconstruction
- 1995 – 2000 University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX Residence in Orthopedic Surgery Administrative Chief Resident Dept. of Orthopedics
- 1991 – 1995 University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX Medical Doctor
- 1987 – 1991 Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX Masters of Science in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- 2008-present Amerra, a Medical Multi-media Company specializing in High-Quality 3-D Animations, Medical Illustration, and Interactive Software.\Houston, TX
- 2006–present Homer Stryker Learning Center and e-learning subcommittee Mahwah, NJ
- 2007-present Salient Medical Inc, Dover, NH
- 2007-present SanuWave, Inc. Alpharetta, GA
- 2008-present Skylight Healthcare Systems, Inc. San Diego, CA
- 2006-present Innovative Orthopedic Technologies, LLC Founder and Owner
- 2005-present Memorial Bone and Joint Research Foundation President and Chairman of the board
- Jan 2006 Evaluating new technology for the direct anterior approach for MIS hip replacement Italy
- April 2006 Birmingham Hip Resurfacing training Birmingham, UK
- April 2006 Direct Anterior Hip User group meeting Salzburg, Austria
- March 2007 Presentation on Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement, Smith-Petersen Approach, for total hip replacement. Chung-Gung Memorial Hospital-Kaohiung Medical Center, in Kaohiung, Taiwan Presentation on New Technologies in Knee Replacement: “Is the Future of total knee replacement Tissue guided surgery or Robotic Surgery?”Chang-Gung University College of Medicine, Chung-Gung Memorial Hospital, in Taipei, Taiwan
- May 2007 Presentation on Surgical Pearls for the Direct Anterior Approach/MIS hip replacement.
At the EFORT meeting in Florence, Italy
- May 2007 Meeting in with B&Braun Inc, to evaluate a new hip prosthesis for the use of the MIS direct anterior approach for hip replacement. Berlin, Germany
- Sept. 2007 Evaluating new technologies regarding arthroscopically assisted Total hip Replacement with Stryker Orthopedics and Cadaver Training on MIS total hip replacement. Innsbruck, Austria
- June 2008 A Decade of Modern Hip Resurfacing: Controversies, Lessons, and Opportunities. “The Direct Anterior Approach in Hip Resurfacing, early experience”, Corin. Edinburgh, Scotland
- Oct. 2008 “Does Conversion of a UKA to TKA Require Medial Augmentation?”, Stefan Kreuzer, Matthew Driscoll, Michael Conditt: Podium Presentation at International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty 2008Souel, Korea
- 2009-presentConsultant to Mako Surgical for evaluation of new implant designs.
- 2008-presentPrincipal Investigator for post-marketing Cormet hip resurfacing study.
- 2008-presentSub-investigator for IDE study of the Uniglide by Corin, UK.
- 2005–2006 Sub-Investigator for Houston Endoscopy and Research
- 2004–presentSub-Investigator for Harold Minkowitz, MD
- 2006-presentConsultant to Stryker Orthopedics for the development of a new bone conserving MIS hip prosthesis
- 2005-2008 Consultant to Smith and Nephew for the development of the next generation Tissue Guide MIS knee replacement
- 2004–2006Consultant to Smith and Nephew for the development of a new MIS flat tapered cementless hip prosthesis.
- 2004-2006 Clinical Faculty Veterans Administration Hospital,
- 2004-2006 Chief of Orthopedics Memorial City Memorial Herman Hospital,
- 2002-present Memorial Bone and Joint Clinic, MIS Adult Reconstruction,
- 2001 – 2002 Bonutti Orthopedic Clinic, Adult Joint Reconstruction,
- 2006-2007Design of New Hip Prosthesis to Facilitate Direct Anterior Approach
- 2007-2008Design of the Deuce Knee Arthroplasty, named “The Most Innovative Orthopedic Product of 2007” by Wachovia Bank.
- 2009-present“Retrospective Analysis of Bilateral Hip Replacement Whereby One Side Received the Direct Anterior Approach” MRI study
- 2008-present “Clinical and Radiological Outcome of the Combination of Surgical Core Decompression and Extracorporeal Shockwave Treatment for Early AVN of (stage I, II, and IIIA) the femoral head”
- 2008-present Cormet Resurfacing Hip System Post PMA-Approval Surveillance Study
Sponsored by Corin USA
- 2008-present “A prospective, comparative, randomized, double blind, multi-center study of the Uniglide Mobile Bearing Unicondylar Knee System vs. Uniglide Fixed Bearing Unicondylar Knee System”, an IDE study
Sponsored by Corin USA
- 2004-present “Anterior Hip Replacement Learning Curve”
Collecting data prospectively on surgical time and complication rate.
- 2004-present“Clinical Outcome after Total Hip Replacement Utilizing the Direct Anterior Approach” “Step Watch Study”: Evaluating activity level post-op anterior hip replacement using the 3 step monitor. Sub-Study included to capture QOL through questionnaires.
- 2004 – 2005 “A Phase IIa, Multi-Center, Multi-National, Open-Label, Dose Ranging Study of the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of Oral DU-176b Administered Once or Twice Daily in the Treatment of Adult Patients Undergoing Total Hip Arthroplasty”
Sponsored by Daiichi Medical Research
- 2004 – 2005 “Comparison of the Safety and Efficacy of Patient Controlled Analgesia Delivered by Fentanyl HCI Transdermal System Versus Morphine IV Pump for Pain Management after Primary Unilateral Total Hip Replacement”
Sponsored by Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical, Inc
- 2005-presentMulticenter Study on the Anterior Approach, Co-Investigator with Dr. Joel Matta, Sponsored by Depuy/J&J
- 2005 – 2006Fluoro-based registration for navigation of total hip replacement sponsored by Brain Lab
- 2005 – 2006 “A Multicenter, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Study to Evaluate Safety and Immunogenicity of StaphVax, a bivalent Staphylococcus Glycoconjugate Vaccine in Adult Patients Receiving an Orthopaedic Prosthetic Implant”
Sponsored by Nabi Pharmaceuticals (trial No. Nabi-1365)
- 2005-2008 “The effect of Navigated Knees on Clinical Outcome”
Sponsored by Smith and Nephew
- 2006-2007 “A Randomized, Double Blind, Active-and Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Multiple Doses of CG5503 Immediate-Release (IR) Formulation in the Treatment of Acute Pain from Total Hip Replacement followed by a Voluntary Open-Label Extension”
Sponsored by Johnson and Johnson
- 2006-2007“A Phase 2B, randomized, multi-enter, dose-ranging, study assessing the
safety and efficacy of PD 0348292 in the prevention of venous thromboembolic events (VTE) in subjects undergoing an elective, unilateral knee replacement”
Sponsored by Pfizer
- 2007-2008 “Competitor Deuce Bicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty”
Sponsored by Smith and Nephew Orthopedics
- Orthopedic SurgeryThe Golden Bone Award”, 1998
- Residency“Best 3 Paper Award” at the Houston Orthopedics Society, Dec. 1999
Robert K. and Marie B. Hutchings Scholarship Endowment for Academic Excellence in Orthopedics, June 2000
Texas Orthopedics Association in San Antonio. Resident Award 3rd place, May 2000
- Medical SchoolAmerican Cancer Society Fellowship (with Dept. of Orthopedics, Ron Williams, M.D.)
Summer Research Stipend (with Dept. of Orthopedics, Barbara Boyan, Ph.D.)
Nomination for the American Federation for Clinical Research Medical Student Award
Dean’s Scholarship (1991-1995)
- 1991Book, Chapters, and Theses
Kreuzer, Stefan W.: “The Cloning and Characterization of Glucose-6- Phosphate Dehydrogenase mRNA from the Uterus of the Rat”: Master’s Thesis, Texas Tech Library
- 1992 Bone Graft Option in Revision Arthroplasty” 33rd Annual Harvard Arthroplasty Course in Boston Published Abstracts: Boyan, Barbara D., Z. Schwartz, T. Aufdermorte, and S. Kreuzer: “Animal Models for Osteoporosis”. Presented at the NIH Workshop: Osteoporosis and Oral Bone Loss.
- 1993 Boyan, Barbara D., Z. Schwartz, J. Sela. J. Hambleton, B. Brooks, M. Luna, and S. Kreuzer: “Biological Implication of Joint Replacement.” In: Biological, Material, and Mechanical Considerations of Joint Replacement, ed. by B. F. Morrey. Raven Press, Ltd., New York, 1993
- 1994LaBate, Micheal E., S. Kreuzer, S. Whelly, and K Barker, “Regulation of Uterine G6PD mRNA levels in the rat uterus by estradiol: Requirement of protein synthesis for mRNA induction”, Endocrine (1994), 2, 1003- 1010.
- 2003Noble, Philip C., M. Conditt, M. Thompson, J. Stain, S. Kreuzer, B. Parsley, and K. Mathis, “Extraarticular Abrasive Wear in Cemented and Cementless Total Knee Arthroplasty”, Clin. Orthop (2003), 416, 120-128.
- 2004 Grecula, M.J., Thomas, J.A., and Kreuzer, S.W.: “Impact of Implant Design on Femoral Head Hemiresurfacing Arthroplasty”. Clin. Orthop. 2004 Jan; (418):41-7.
- 2007Kreuzer, S. and Matta J.: “Single-Incision Anterior Approach For Total Hip Arthroplasty: Smith Petersen Approach”, in the monogram of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeon Monogram series.
- 2008Nogler, N., Hozack, B., Kreuzer, S., and Krismer, M.,: “Hip Resurfacing: Direct Anterior Approach: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeon Surgical DVD collection.
- April 1999Ivey, M. and Kreuzer, S.: “Early Follow-up of Posterior Stabilized Total Knee Arthroplasty” at the Knee, Hip, and Shoulder Arthroplasty Meeting in Pinehurst, South Carolina.
- July 1999Kreuzer, S. and Grecula M.: “Surface Hemiarthroplasty for Femoral Head Osteonecrosis: A Viable Option?” At the Southern Orthopaedic Association in Amelia Island, Florida.
- Sept 1999“Surface Hemiarthroplasty for Femoral Head Osteonecrosis” at the International Hip Congress ’99 Chirurgie de la Hanche, Toulouse, France.
- Dec 1999 Ivey, M. and Kreuzer, S.: “Posterior Stabilized Natural Knee II: Early Follow-up” at the Houston Orthopedics Society, top 3 papers.
- May 2000 Kreuzer, S.: “Cement Mantel Characterization in Impaction Grafting” at the Texas Orthopedics Association in San Antonio. Resident Award 3rd place
- Feb 2001Kreuzer, SW, Schroeder, AF, Popejoy, A, Morris, RP, Buford, WL, Grecula, MJ, “3D Computer Characterization of the Cement Mantle in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty (Impaction Grafting),” Proceedings Abstracts, 19th Annual Houston Conference on Biomedical Engineering Research, 8-9 Feb, U. of Houston, TX, p 87,m 2001.
- Mar. 2003Kreuzer, S.: “Minimally Invasive Unicondylar Knee – Early Result“@ the Hip, Knee and Shoulder Symposium, Park City, Utah.2003 Hip, Knee & Shoulder Symposium
- June 2003Kreuzer, S.: “MIS Unicondylar Clinical Results” @ the 13th Annual Total Knee, Hip and Shoulder Arthroplasty Seminar, Aviar, San Diego.
- July 2003Kreuzer, S. “Minimally invasive surgery: the hype and the truth” Galveston Sports Medicine Meeting
- Sept 2003Kreuzer, S.: “Synthetic Bone Graft Option in Revision Arthroplasty” 33rd Annual Harvard Arthroplasty Course in Boston
- Nov 2003Kreuzer, S. and Hallock, R.: “Early results with Unispacer Arthroplasty: A surgical option for middle aged osteoarthritis“@ the 62. Jahreskongress der Schweizerischen Gesellschaft fuer Orthopaedie, Basel Switzerland
- June 2004Kreuzer, S. “The Anterior Approach: a less invasive approach for Hip replacement” at hips and knees in Cabo, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- July 2004Kreuzer, S.: “The role of the Unispacer in the treatment of arthritis of t he Knee” at the annual Galveston Sports Medicine Meeting
- Aug 2004 Kreuzer, S.: Basic Science presentation at Mayo Clinic for National Resident Education Course on Adult Joint Reconstruction
- Nov 2004Kreuzer, S.: “One incision Anterior Approach: First 100 consecutive cases “What have we learned” in Hips and Knees in the Keys, Key Largo, Florida.
- Jan 2005Kreuzer, S.: “One incision Anterior Approach: First 100 consecutive cases “What have we learned” Global Sales Meeting Smith and Nephew in Orlando.
- Feb. 2005 Kreuzer, S.: “Early results on the first 100 consecutive Anterior Hip Replacement” at the Multi Center Trial Group meeting sponsored by Depuy/J&J. in Santa Monica, California.
- May 2005Kreuzer, S: “Learning Curve of Anterior One Incision MIS Total Hip Replacement” in Lake Como, Italy for Medacta Orthopedics.
- June 2005Kreuzer, S. One Incision Anterior Approach: First 200 Consecutive cases “What have we learned” at Hot Topics in Hips and Knees in Santa Barbara, California.
- July 2005Kreuzer, S.: “Osteoarthritis in the young adult: What is the Role of Unicondylar Knee Replacement” at the annual Galveston Sports Medicine Meeting.
- Sep. 2005Kreuzer, S: “The Learning Curve of the MIS Anterior Approach” in Salzburg, Austria for Medacta Orthopedics.
Kreuzer, S: “The Anterior Minimally Invasive Approach: the US Experience” in Salzburg, Austria for Medacta Orthopedics.
- Oct. 2005Kreuzer, S: Cadaver live surgery of Accuris Unicompartemental Knee Replacement and Bioskills Lab at the 2nd annual discovery forum of “Tissue Sparing Treatment for Degenerative Joint Disease”.
- Febr. 2006Kreuzer, S: Current Concept in Colorado, MIS anterior approach for total hip replacement.
- March 2006Kreuzer, S: Meeting in Santa Monica. Anterior Hip Collaborative Meeting.
- April 2006Kreuzer, S: Eggers Society Presentation on Computer navigation in total knee replacement.
- May 2006 Houston anterior total hip cadaver course, Kreuer, S. Chairman.
- May 2006Fundamental to Controversies in Total Joint Course for Orthopedic resident’s course.
- Aug. 2006 Anterior hip training course with Smith and Nephew.
- Sept. 2006Anterior hip training course with Smith and Nephew.
- Oct 2006Anterior hip training course with Stryker Orthopedics at the learning institute in Denver, Colorado
- Nov. 2006Anterior hip training course with Stryker Orthopedics at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston, Texas
- Nov. 2006Hip Resurfacing training: “Train the trainer”, at Science care in Phoenix, Arizona.
- April 2007Anterior Hip Training Course at the Homer Stryker Learning Center in Mahwah, New Jersey.
- June 2007Cadaver workshop for Deuce Arthroplastyat the Learning Institute in Pensacola Florida.
- July 2007Current Solutions in joint Surgery: “Cadaver Work shop on the Deuce Artrhoplasty”, in Chicago
- Oct. 2007Anterior Hip Training Course at the Homer Stryker Learning Center in Mahwah, New Jersey.
- Oct. 2007Resurfacing training Course at the Homer Stryker Learning Center in Mahwah, New Jersey.
- Nov. 2007“The anterior Approach for Hip Resurfacing” at the 1st Annual US Comprehensive Course on Total Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty, Annapolis, Maryland.
- Febr. 2008Resurfacing training Course at the Homer Stryker Learning Center in Mahwah, New Jersey.
- March 2008Resurfacing training Course in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- April 2008Resurfacing training Course at the Homer Stryker Learning Center in Mahwah, New Jersey.
- Aug. 2008National Sales Meeting, Tumph Inc. Charleston, SC
- Sept. 2008Resurfacing training Course in Austin, TX.
- Sept. 2008Resurfacing training Course in New Orleans, LA.
- Oct. 2008“The anterior Approach for Hip Resurfacing” at the 2nd Annual US Comprehensive Course on Total Hip
Resurfacing Arthroplasty, Los Angeles, CA.
- Nov. 2008AAHKS symposium for Salient Technology on Anterior total hip resurfacing, Dallas, TX.
- Nov. 2008Anterior Hip Training Course at the Homer Stryker Learning Center in Mahwah, New Jersey.
- Dec. 2008ICJR presentation at symposium on soft tissue balancing for Synvasive, Inc.
- Oct 2002Grecula, M.J., Thomas, J., and Kreuzer, S.: Impact of Implant Design on Results of Hemiresurfacing Hip Arthroplasty. International Hip Congress 2002, Chirurgie de la Hanche, Toulouse, France, October 2-4, 2002, Poster Presentation.
- Oct 2002Grecula, M.J., Schroeder, M.D., Kreuzer, S., Morris, R.P., and Buford, W.L., Jr., 3D Computer Characterization of the Cement Mantle in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty. International Hip Congress 2002, Chirurgie de la Hanche, Toulouse, France, October 2-4, 2002, Poster Presentation.